Inside the Ranch House
El Rancho Escondido Walk-through
- Entrance to the house is by passing through a newly developed walled garden on the west side of the building.
- Skip to a room:
The Great Room,
Guest Bedroom #1,
Office or Bedroom #2,
Master Bathroom, and
The Great Room (living room) 47' x 17.4'
- Vigas (beams) are hand-cut and hand-peeled pine, cedar latillas (the ceiling above the vigas), and hand-carved solid oak doors
- Bancos (built-in benches) along the walls offer many uses such as extra seating and plant display
- An airtight wood-burning stove resides under a wood mantle in its especially – built stove-place
- Light and fan fixtures adorn the ceiling with hand-made and hand-painted ceramics
- At one end of the Great Room is access to the kitchen.
The Kitchen 20' x 20'
- A well equipped workplace for those who enjoy cooking and dining as well.
- Side by side electric stove top and oven are used in summer months,
- (An old cast-iron cook stove (not included with ranch) is preferred by the owner in the cooler months)
- Cabinets designed and built to the owner’s specs to hold cookware, and dishes - everything needed to aid the creative cook
- A special baking center sports a very large hardwood counter-top with bins beneath for sugar and flour
- A unique cabinet over the sink area was built for glassware and more
- A small desk serves as a planning area - overhead bookshelves provide space for recipe books, and so forth. Also note the rear entrance door.
- There is an area for dining - bancos on two walls offering permanent seating.
- Just off of the kitchen are the kitchen storerooms and guest bathroom.
Kitchen Storerooms (x2) 9' x 6' each
- For food storage, freezer, etc, these are entered from the kitchen
- From the kitchen, there is another door into a small:
Guest Bath (full) 9' x 4.8'
- Connects to bedroom #1 and kitchen.
Bedroom #1 20' x 12'
- The main entrance to this room can be found on the east wall of the Great Room.
- Windows face the east portal and garden.
- At the south end of the Great Room is a door into a large room useable as an office or as a:
Family Room 19' x 19'
- From the family room, to the left, are double doors leading into a circular room called the
Display Room 16' across, circular
- Its shape adds a certain charm to the house.
- Poured adobe floors with a huge center post and latillas of dry Yucca flower-stalks, shelves along circular walls to house collectables – anything imaginable.
- The double doors of this room are carved with Mimbres Indian designs taken from Mimbreño pottery.
Office (possible bedroom) 21' x 12'
- The room is currently an office – it has been a bedroom with 2 closets.
- Its special delight is a tiny walled garden just outside sliding doors.
- A garden gate takes one out towards the garage and barn.
- To progress through the house, from the present office, there is a door into the master bedroom.
Master Bedroom 20' x 16'
- This spacious room also contains a wood burning stove placed in front of a small fireplace, using the fireplace chimney.
- There are 2 walk-in closets,
- Built-in bookshelves,
- And an exit to the easterly portal
- Connected to the master bedroom is the:
Master Bath 14.6' x 13.5'
- Which contains a double vanity built into a corner,
- There is a double shower and built in tile tub in the long shower stall,
- And, entirely separate from the rest of the bathroom, is the toilet room, which has
- Storage shelves, and its own small sink.
- Through a door is the:
Laundry Room 13.5' x 5'
- With space for a washer and dryer, storage cabinets, and a laundry sink.
- Also, there is a door to the outside to the east portal.